Archive for December, 2008

Fabric Postcard for Dye Hard Swap

December 23, 2008

My oh my, I knew it snowed a lot last weekend, but listening to the weather forecast last night I learned we received 20.5″ of the fluffy, white variety.  That’s a lot of snow – even if it was fluffy.  It’s no wonder the second fabric postcard made for the January 2009 Dye Hard painted bondaweb swap is a snow scene:

This was so much fun to make.  After auditioning several sky fabrics, a painted blue fabric I made a couple of years ago, worked the best behind the navy painted Fine Fuse.  A big silver star was place in the center, then some smaller silver metallic stars were scattered across the card.   I wanted this to really shine so added some silver rhinestones also to create a lovely night sky.

The snow was made out of cotton quilt batting and stitched in place with nylon thread.    I folded a 1/4″ seam around the edges, then folded that over again with some cardstock for a backing.  The fabric was kept it in place by using paper clips, and nylon thread was used in the bobbin case and needle for a nearly invisible sewing line. 

It wasn’t quite right though.  The snow was too flat.  It took a couple of days before I got a light bulb moment.  Jones Tones White Iris paint to the rescue.  It has lots of glitter in it and I applied it with a Q-tip – dabbing a bit here, a bit there.  Now both the snow and the sky sparkle.  Perfect!!!



Painting on Fusibles

December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving has come and gone and I’m spending this week working on fabric swaps that are due in January.  I’m a member of a small group of online artists that try different techniques and then swap samples with each other – both through the mail and sharing pictures with each other.

January’s challenge is to paint on fusible interfacing and use it in a 4″ x 6″ fiber card.  This is something I’ve never tried and I had a great time trying different fusibles and paints.  My first one is my favorite:

Lots of Golden acrylic paints were used – black, irridescent gold, bronze, and pearl silver with some green Setacolor scattered across.  It looks a bit like marble to me and I love the way the Wonder Under fusible shrank against the paper backing. 

The next piece was painted black with a little of the green left over from the first piece dribbled across it. 


These 2 pieces are my favorites, because of how the paint moved across the surface of the paper backed Wonder Under.

Next I tried some Fine Fuse fusible.  This doesn’t have a paper backing and it took the paint very differently.


This navy piece was painted with a plastic garbage bag underneath.  I got very little paint movement and the fusible didn’t shrink.  I added splotches of yellow and scrunched the plastic a bit trying to get some movement, but had limited success.
On the other hand, the plastic bag looks terrific. 


I’m going to have to think of some way to use it, as I really like that painted surface better than the fusible:

This next piece used the Fine Fuse again and this time I placed a piece of paper underneath.  Again, the fusible didn’t shrink much.  But I had fun auditioning the painted fusible against different backgrounds: